Real Madrid have just ended their most successful campaign as they came out with the La Liga trophy and the UEFA Champions League as well as winning the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup earlier in the season.
With that being said, Los Merengues will have to make a few changes to their squad this summer as they prepare for another tiring and demanding season where they can challenge for up to six trophies. This time, Zinedine Zidane’s rotation policy will be put to the test a lot more and therefore he will need a squad strong enough to replace the big stars when needed while also having the quality to play for Real Madrid. That is not something easy to ask for.
Looking at the upcoming season (and keeping in mind the rumors, of course), Real Madrid will have a few new faces in the team but not as much when looking at their “A Team”. P.S. I would love to get rid of that term but as of now it’s the easiest way to differentiate between Real Madrid’s two extraordinary squads.
So, in the bigger matches, I expect that we will more or less be seeing these names in the starting eleven:
Now, let’s take a look at who the potential substitute players are for the team:
This is what we can see as of now and I don’t really expect that the final squad list will be that much different when the summer transfer window is over. The names in bold italics are the ones that Real Madrid will look to purchase this season. Here is a very quick update on them:
- Luca Zidane
- Part of Real Madrid’s Castilla squad and will undoubtedly be excited to play in the squad that his father manages. Don’t expect him to make many appearances though as Kiko Casilla is undeniably ahead of him in the list
- Jesus Vallejo
- Jesus Vallejo was on loan at Eintracht Frankfurt last season and the German club have confirmed that the Spanish defender has returned to Real Madrid. With Los Blancos failing to mention it as well, it seems as though Zidane will be waiting to see him in the U21 European Championship before making a final decision
- Theo Hernandez
- What makes this a very difficult transfer is that Theo Hernandez is an Atletico Madrid player and, especially with their transfer ban, it will be difficult to pull him away from them. Earlier in the season, the transfer looked as though it was done but things have been taking longer than initially expected.
- Marcos Llorente
- A very exciting prospect and something that should be happening this summer as Marcos Llorente spent the last season on loan at Alaves and highly impressed many people with his skill in midfield. He would come in as a replacement for Casemiro and hopefully Real Madrid don’t end up loaning him out again.
- Borja Mayoral
- Another youth team player who spend last season on loan, Borja Mayoral is expected to return to the squad and take Mariano’s place, who is expected to leave on loan. He spent last year on loan at Wolfsburg. More young blood in our team is very interesting, especially when it’s one of our own youth players!
- Kylian Mbappe
- The expected “galactico” for the summer as Real Madrid are clearly interested in his services, especially if Alvaro Morata ends up leaving this summer. It will be extremely difficult to bring him to the Spanish capital and it will surely be an expensive transfer but that does not mean that it is impossible.
It will be a very interesting summer for Real Madrid with a few departures and arrivals expected to happen in the coming months. Let’s just hope that none of the transfers catch us by surprise!